Ovary and PCOS Cleanse
Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
The ovary is an ovum producing reproductive organ. It is often found in pairs, as part of the vertebrate female reproductive system, and helps in developing the secondary sex characteristics in the female body.
An ovary is black in colour and located along the lateral wall of the uterus in Broad ligament a region called the ovarian fossa. Each ovary is nearly 4 cm x 3 cm x 2 cm in size. Ovaries in females are analogous to testes in males, in a way that both are gonads and endocrine glands.
Ovaries secrete hormones, such as oestrogen, testosterone and progesterone. In women, 50% of the testosterone is produced by the ovaries and adrenal glands, and released directly into the blood stream. Oestrogen is responsible for the appearance of secondary sex characteristics in females at puberty and maturation, as well as for maintenance of reproductive organs. Progesterone prepares the uterus for pregnancy and the mammary glands for lactation. It also functions with oestrogen by promoting menstrual cycle changes in the endometrium.
The problems associated with an ovary are:
- Ovarian cysts and Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
- Premature ovarian failure
- Ovarian torsion (twisting of the ovary)
- Ovarian cancer
Among these, PCOS is the most common endocrine disorder in women of reproductive age, affecting as many as one out of every seven Indian women. Often, the symptoms begin during the teen years.
In this chapter, we will mainly discuss PCOS and its cure through a cleansing process.
Poly-cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Ovarian cysts are closed, sac-like structures within the ovary, filled with a liquid or semi-solid substance. PCOS is a problem wherein a woman’s hormones are out of balance. One hormone change triggers another, which in turn triggers another hormone change and so on. As a result, the sex hormones fall out of balance. Normally, the ovaries make a tiny amount of male sex hormone, androgen. In PCOS, they start making slightly more androgen than normal. This may result in acne, lack of ovulation and growth of facial and body hair in excess.
Over time, it can lead to a number of serious health problems, such as infertility, diabetes and heart disease.
An ovary with cysts
Women with PCOS have low-grade inflammation, which may be a cause for insulin resistance. White blood cells produce substances to fight infection. This is known as inflammatory response. When inflammatory response is triggered, white blood cells produce substances that may contribute to insulin resistance and atherosclerosis.
Women, whose mothers, sisters or grandmothers have had PCOS, are at a higher risk of developing it. Some of the causes are:
- Exposure to excessive amounts of male hormones (androgens) by the developing foetus, may alter proper gene expression. This means that the affected genes will not function properly later in life, causing PCOS during the reproductive years of a woman.
- PCOS is also caused by bad diet, lifestyle and exposure to certain environmental toxins.
Pain in the abdomen or pelvis is the most common symptom of an ovarian cyst, but most cases of PCOS are asymptomatic; symptoms tend to be mild at first. The most common symptoms are:
- Weight gain and trouble in losing weight
- Often, women have thicker and darker facial hair growth and more hair on the chest, belly and back
- Thinning of hair on the scalp
- Fewer than nine periods a year. While some women have scanty periods, others may have very heavy bleeding
- Uterus may become bulky and larger than normal
- Recurrent miscarriages, depression and mood disorders
If the cyst has reached a large size, other symptoms may arise as a result of the pressure or distortion of adjacent anatomical structures. These symptoms can include:
- Abdominal fullness or bloating
- Feeling full after eating only a small amount (early satiety)
- Urinary urgency and urine incontinence
- Difficult bowel movements
- Pain during sexual intercourse
PCOS, if untreated may cause:
- Menstrual cycle irregularities
- Increased risk of endometrial and breast cancer, due to excessive secretion of oestrogen hormone
- Cardiovascular diseases
- Diabetes and gestational diabetes
This cleanse will help jump start weight loss, remove unwanted toxins, hormones and chemicals from your body and bring your body into balance. It benefits overall reproductive and general health. You can try any of these ingredients/methods, but do not do them simultaneously.
Cinnamon is a very effective home remedy for PCOS. It can help normalise menstrual cycles and curb sudden hunger pangs, owing to its high fibre content.
While making curd from milk, add 20-25 gms of cinnamon in milk. This curd, during the process of fermentation, absorbs the medicinal properties of cinnamon. Eat a cup of this curd thrice a day for two weeks. Prepare fresh curd every day.
Add 20-25 gms of cinnamon sticks in half a glass of water. Put it in the freezer, so that water becomes ice. The pressure of the ice squeezes medicine from the cinnamon. Take the ice out after 5-10 hours and let it turn to water. Chew the cinnamon and spit it out when it becomes flavourless. Drink this water empty stomach three times a day. Do it for four days while making fresh medicine every day.
Fenugreek promotes glucose metabolism in the body and improves insulin resistance. This, in turn, helps balance hormones. It may also help lower cholesterol, aid weight loss and promote healthy heart functioning.
- Soak three teaspoons (nearly 15 gms) of fenugreek seeds in water for six to eight hours so that they become soft and chewable.
- Have one teaspoon (nearly 5 gms) of the soaked seeds, along with some honey, in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Have one teaspoon of the seeds nearly 10 minutes before lunch and dinner.
- Continue this treatment for four days and notice improvement.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar can regulate menstrual cycles. It is beneficial in dealing with PCOS because it helps control blood sugar and excess production of insulin. Less insulin means less testosterone. It also helps in weight loss and improves overall health.
Mix 15 ml of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water and drink it. If you are uncomfortable with the taste of vinegar, start with a lower dose of 5 ml and then move onto the standard dose of 15 ml, two or three times a day. If the taste is too strong, mix the apple cider vinegar with orange or any other fruit juice.
Drink it daily in the morning and before meals. Within four days, you will notice the symptoms of PCOS receding.
According to author Louise Lacey, women’s menstrual cycles are naturally wired to be in sync with the moon. In all early societies, before industrialisation and consumption of processed food, women ovulated at the full moon and menstruated at the new moon. While this was natures default setting, hormonal disruption due to prolonged external stimuli has caused havoc and chaos in women’s menstrual cycles:
- Random and uncomfortable periods are the effects of a bad diet and lifestyle that disconnects women from the rhythm of nature. Modern living means that most women abuse their bodies with various chemicals, cosmetics, antibiotics, prescription drugs, pills, extreme emotional stress, over- exercising, refined food and more.
- A key factor in hormonal imbalance is artificial light; it wreaks havoc on their sleep cycles. Their bodies are so sensitive to light patterns that women can regulate release of hormones by managing the light at night.
The concept of manipulating light to regulate menstrual cycles is called lunaception. Lunaception, as the name suggests, follows the pattern of the moon to increase fertility. Sleep in complete darkness, except for three nights in each cycle, i.e., on the 14th, 15th and 16th, when you can use a dim light. By avoiding intercourse on these three days, women can develop regular and healthy menstrual cycles. You will find tremendous improvement after three months of practicing lunaception and notice more energy, easier weight management, less PMS and more.
Create a completely dark environment in your bedroom. Seal the edges of curtains around windows, so that no light seeps in. You can also put garbage bags over windows. Also, put a towel under the crack of your door. Once the lights are off, you should not be able to see your hand in front of your face.
- A sleep mask is not a suitable substitute, but it is better than nothing. The body can sense light in the environment through other openings, such as the ears or nose.
- If you visit the bathroom at night, put a red light bulb in the hallway and your bathroom. The red light, just like the firelight used in traditional cultures, will not trigger early ovulation.
- Sleep in complete darkness, except for the three days mentioned above. It is recommended to sleep in complete darkness for one to two months prior to night lighting, to help ‘reset’ the body.
The PCOS Cleanse not only gets rid of unwanted cysts in the ovary, but also:
- Increases the rate of spontaneous ovulation.
- Improves the environment of the uterus and prepares it for a healthy conception.
- Decreases the possibility of miscarriage.
- Prevents diseases, such as diabetes and atheroscelerosis.